Airbnb is a platform that allows people to rent out their properties. This way, it gives travellers the chance to experience staying in different houses around the world, while it gives individuals a chance to earn money from their properties.
- Encourage users to post photos of their Airbnb listings and review other Airbnb listings.
- Allow users to create profiles of their space. These profiles could be used as a marketing and a search tool for Airbnb. They might direct people who were searching for a space to the user's profile for Airbnb so that they can see the actual place they are booking before committing to book it.
- Leverage consumer's goal-directed behavior through game elements. Imagine creating a new platform: Airbnb Travel, which could enable players to create their own travel courses based on location (e.g. a New York City course) and provide rewards to the top-ranked player of each course at the end of each month. With billions of people traveling, Airbnb Travel could become one of the largest video games ever created - if it has the right iteration and engagement.
- Create a scenario where Airbnb is integrated with YouTube. For example, imagine when a host lists his/her home for rent, they can also add a 30 second video tour. Best practice dictates that the host should describe the space and walk through every area of the home (see extra space) - then offer to answer any questions that prospective guests may have about the property.
- Have a viral sharing button for Facebook or Twitter, so whenever someone uses Airbnb, they share it on their social media networks.
- Create a "Time Travel" campaign. The objective would be to have customers take a photo at the Airbnb location using AirBNB app and publish it to social media with a caption asking viewers what time period the picture was taken. This creates social proof that there are many people from different periods of time visiting and staying at private residences that are listed on AirBNB website.
- Encourage current hosts to invite their friends and family to list their spaces on Airbnb. Once there are 2 or 3 listings from any one friend, the host can encourage that friend by saying "we'll get a free night in your listing if you get 2 more people to list with us".
- Allow travelers to book several different rooms with Airbnb. The advantages of this is that travelers can easily find their lodging if they are in a foreign country or a large city and it will be cheaper, more comfortable and less lonely than staying in a hotel room by yourself. Those that stay at Airbnbs will be able to connect with the person that owns the Airbnb unit, and hands on tips and recommendations from locals or people that have visited the area before will benefit them greatly.
- Promote the site via Amazon's Mechanical Turk platform, where users are paid small amounts for performing tasks. Airbnb could offer tasks where individuals relate their first Airbnb experience and earn money in return — or spend money to promote the site without incurring any costs.