In this tutorial, we will have a first look to the main report building elements.
On the top of the page is a toolbar, and on the right upper corner is a share button and a “View” button. By default you are in “Edit” mode.
- Add a page: You can add several pages to each report.
- Undo and Redo: Also possible with the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+Z (undo) and Ctrl+Y (redo).
- Selection Mode: This pointer icon allows you to select a chart or other elements in your canvas. When you select an element, a configuration tab will open on the right side.
- Add data: In order to add new data sources.
- Add a chart: In order to add charts. Check here for more: All About Charts
- Community visualization and components: You can add data sources from 3rd part creators. They are usually paid.
- Add a control: This dropdown allows you to add a control, such as a dropdown list, slider, checkbox, date range, and more.
- URL Embed: It allows you to embed videos and other documents directly in your report.
- Image: It inserts an image from your computer or by URL.
- Text: It inserts a text box.
- Line: It allows you to draw simple or complex lines with arrows and curves.
- Shape: It allows you to insert basic shapes, such as rectangles and circles.
- Theme and layout: In order to edit the look and feel of your report.
This is where you'll be inserting charts, tables, images, and other design elements. This is the main "report"
When you have nothing selected in the main grid, it lets you edit the theme and layout of the page. When you’ve selected a chart, the right bar is where you’ll play with the data, including adding dimensions and metrics
Editor in Detail
When non of the elements/charts are selected, you will see this version with 2 tabs.
Data Studio offers a number of predefined themes for your report. You can create a professional look quickly by selecting an existing theme.
You can do things such as control how your report looks in View mode, customize your report size and orientation, and change grid settings. We recommend experimenting with each option to see what works best for you.
When any element/chart is selected, then this sidebar becomes the editor for that specific chart. Again we will have 2 tabs.
This tab will let you choose dimensions and metrics, filter them or sort them.
The style tab will let you edit and change the style of chosen chart. Each chart has unique options.